NOT TO EAT THE SCIATIC NERVE
Therefore Bnei Yisrael must not eat the Gid Hanashe which is on the upper joint of the thigh, to this day, because he touched the Gid Hanashe at the upper joint of Yaakov’s thigh.
CHOMETZ ON PESACH
God spoke to Moshe as follows: 2. “Sanctify to Me every first-born, whatever opens the womb among the Bnei Yisrael, both of man and of beast is to me.” 3. And Moshe said to the people: “Remember this day on which you went out from Mitzrayim, out from the house of bondage, that by a strong hand did Hashem bring you out from here, and for this reason no leaven shall be eaten. 4. Today you are going out, in the month of the growing grain! 5. and it shall be when Hashemwill bring you to the land of the Canaanite and of the Hittite, of the Emorite, the Hivvite and the Yevusite, which he swore to your fathers to give to you, a land flowing with milk and honey, then you shall observe this ritual in this month. 6. Seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and then, on the seventh day, you will make a festival to Hashem.
FLESH FROM A LIVE ANIMAL
30. Men of a holy calling, you will be to me. You shall not eat meat that was torn off by beasts in the field, instead throw it to the dog(s).
SHEMOS XXII MISHPATIM
10. And six years you shall sow your land and gather in its produce, 11. but in the seventh year you shall let it go and abandon it so that the poor among you may be able to eat from it, and whatever they leave over can be eaten by the beast(s) of the field; you shall do likewise with your vineyard and your olive tree.
MEAT AND MILK
SHEMOS XXXIV KI TISSA
18. The Festival of Matzos you shall keep; seven days you shall eat unleavened bread which I have commanded you, at the appointed meeting time of the month of the grain growing; for in the month of the growing grain did you go out from Mitzrayim.
26. “. …You shall bring home into the House of Hashem, your God, the first of the first fruits of your soil; you shall not cook a young animal in the milk of its mother.”
VAYIKRA III VAYIKRA
17. It shall be an evearlasting chok for your descendants in all your dwelling places: You shall not eat any fat, nor any blood.
BLOOD, FORBIDDEN FATS
VAYIKRA VII TZAV
22. Hashem spoke to Moshe (saying): 23. Speak to the sons of Yisrael (saying): You shall not eat any fat of oxen, sheep or goats. 24. and the fat of an animal that has died of itself and the fat of that which is a treifa may be used for any other purpose, but not for eating. 25. for whoever eats the fat of an animal of which a fire offering can be brought to Hashem, that person who eats it shall be uprooted from among his people. 26. and you shall eat no kind of blood in all your dwelling places, whether it be of bird or of lifestock. 27. any person who eats any kind of blood, that person shall be uprooted from among his people.
FORBIDDEN SPECIES IN THE WATER, EATING UNCLEAN
ANIMALS, FORBIDDEN FISH, FORBIDDEN FOWL, RODENTS, CREEPING THINGS ON THE EARTH, WORMS, HUMAN FLESH, EATING MAASER SHENEI OUTSIDE OF YESUSHALAYIM
XI 1. God spoke to Moshe and to Aharon, and said to them: 2. Speak to the Bnei Yisrael saying: This is what you may eat of all the animals that live upon the land: 3. Whatever has a hoof and cleaves it completely into two hooves and at the same time chews it’s cud among the animals, this you may eat. 4. But this you may not eat from among those that chew the cud and that are thus hoofed: The camel, because it chews the cud but does not form the proper hoof; it is unclean to you. 5. And the rabbit, because it chews the cud but does not have a hoof; it is unclean to you. 6. And the hare, because it chews the cud but does not have a hoof; it is unclean to you. 7. And the pig, because it has a hoof and cleaves the hoof completely but does not chew it’s cud; it is unclean to you. 8. You shall not eat of their flesh and not touch their carcasses; they are unclean to you. 9. This you may eat of all that lives in the water; anything that has fins and scales in the water, in seas and in rivers, these you may eat. 10. But whatever does not have fins and scales in seas and in rivers, of all small creatures of the water and of all animals that live in the water; they are an abomination to you. 11. And they shall be an abomination to you, you shall not eat of their flesh, and their bodies removed from their habitat you shall hold in abomination. 12. Whatever has neither fins nor scales in the water, that is an abomination to you. 13. And these you shall hold in abomination from among the fowl; they shall not be eaten; they are an abomination; the nesher, the peres and the azniyah; 14. The da’ah and the ayah according to its species; 15. the orev according to its species; 16. the bas hayaanah,the tahmas, the shahaf and the netz according to its species; 17. the kos, the shalakh and the yanshuf; 18. The tinshemes, the kaas and the raham; 19. the hasidah, the anafah according to its species, the duchifas and the atelef. 20. Any winged creeping thing that goes upon four legs is an abomination to you. 21. Only this may you eat of all the winged creeping VAYIKRA XI SHEMINI things that go upon four legs; those that have jointed legs above their feet, to hop with them upon the earth; 22. These of them you may eat: the arbeh according to its species; the salam according to its species, the chargol according to its species and the chagav according to its species. 23. Every winged creeping thing that has four legs is an abomination to you. 24. And concerning these you shall regard yourselves as unclean; whoever touches their carcass shall remain unclean until evening. 25. and whoever carries their carcass shall wash his garments and remain unclean until evening. 26. Concerning any animal that has hooves but does not cleave them and does not chew the cud; they are unclean to you; whatever touches them shall be unclean. 27. and also whatever goes on its paws among all animals that go upon four legs, they are unclean to you; whoever touches their carcass shall remain unclean until evening. 28. and whoever carries their carcass shall wash his garments and remain unclean until evening; they are unclean to you. 29. And this is what is unclean to you among the creeping things that creep upon the earth: the weasel, the mouse and the toad according to its species, 30. the hedgehog, the koach, the lizard, the chomet and the mole. 31. These are those that are unclean to you among all creeping things: whoever touches them when they are dead shall be unclean until evening. 39. and if any animal permitted for you to eat dies, he that touches its carcass shall be unclean until evening. 40. Whoever eats of its carcass must wash his garments and is unclean until evening; one who only carries its carcass must wash his garments and is unclean until evening. 41. and every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth, it is an abomination; it shall not be eaten. 42. Whatever goes upon the belly and whatever goes upon four legs, to whatever has many legs, of any creeping thing that creeps upon the earth, you shall not eat them because they are an abomination. 43. Do not make your souls an abomination with all the creeping things that creep, and do not make yourselves become tomeh. 44. For I, Hashem, am your God; therefore sanctify yourselves and then you will become holy, for I am holy, and do not make your souls unclean with all the creeping things that move upon the earth.
VAYIKRA XXII EMOR
8. He must not eat anything that has died of itself, and is a nevaila or that has been torn, to become unclean by it;
VAYIKRA XXIII EMOR
9. God spoke to Moshe saying: 10. “Speak to the Bnei Yisrael and say to them: When you come to the land which I give you and you reap its harvest, you shall bring the omer of your first reaping to the priest, 11. and he shall wave the omerbefore Hashem willingly; on the day after that Sabbath shall the priest wave it. 12. And on the day when you wave the omer you shall offer an unblemished yearling sheep as an olah offering to God. 13. and its homage offering, two tenths of fine wheat flour mixed with oil, a fire offering to God, as an expression of compliance, and its wine libation one fourth of a hin. 14. and you shall not eat bread, parched flour and green ears until that day, until you have made the offering of your God; an everlasting statute for your descendants in all your dwelling places.
VAYIKRA XXV BEHAR
XXV 1. Hashem spoke to Moshe on Mount Sinai saying: 2. Speak to the BneiYisrael and say to them: When you come into the land which I give you, the land shall observe a Sabbath to Hashem. 3. Six years you shall sow your field and six years you shall prune your vineyard and gather in its produce, 4. But in the seventh year there shall be a Sabbath observed by cessation from work for the land, a Sabbath to God; you shall not sow your field nor prune your vineyard. 5. You shall not harvest the aftergrowth of your harvest and not gather in the grapes from a vine left untended; there shall be a year of cessation from work for the land. 6. But the Sabbath produce of the land shall be permitted for you as food, for yourself and for your servant and for your handmaid, also for your hired worker and your tenant who live with you. 7. And for your cattle, as well as for your animals that are in your land shall all its produce be for food.
MITZV OF TAKING CHALLA
BAMIDBAR XV SHELACH LECHHA
17. Hashem spoke to Moshe saying: 18. “Speak to the Bnei Yisrael and say to them: When you come into the land to which I am bringing you, 19. when you eat of the bread of the land, you shall lift from it an uplifted donation for Hashem 20. As the first portion from your kneading troughs you shall lift out a cake of bread as an uplifted donation. Like the uplifted donation from your threshing floor, so shall you lift up this one. 21. From the first portion from your kneading troughs shall you give to God a Teruma for your descendants.
EATING A LIMB FROM A LIVE ANIMAL
DEVARIM XII RE-EH
20. When Hashem will extend your territory as He has promised you, and you will say: “I want to eat meat,” because you crave to eat meat, then you may eat meat according to all the desire of your will. 21. Because the place that God, your God, will choose, to give His Name a habitation there, will be far away from you; you shall slaughter of your cattle and of your sheep that God has given you, in the manner that I have commanded you, and you shall eat within your gates, according to all the desires of your will. 22. However, as the deer and the doe is eaten, so shall you eat it; the unclean and the pure may eat it together. 23. Only remain firm not to eat blood; for the blood is the soul. Also, do not eat the soul with the flesh. 24 Do not eat it! Pour it out upon the ground like water. 25. Do not eat it! So that it may go well with you and with your children after you; for you will be doing that which is upright in the eyes of God.
FORBIDDEN MEAT, FORBIDDEN FOWL
DEVARIM XIV RE-EH
3. You shall not eat any abominable thing. 4. This is the livestock you may eat: ox, lamb and kid. 5. Doe, deer and yahmur, akko, dishon, te’o and zemer. 6. and every animal that forms a hoof and cleaves it completely into two hooves and at the same time chews the cud among the animals, this you may eat. 7. But this you may not eat from among those that chew the cud and that are thus clovenhoofed: the camel, the hare and the rabbit, because they chew the cud but have not formed a hoof; they are unclean to you. 8. and the pig, because it forms hooves but does not chew the cud; it is unclean to you; you shall not eat of their flesh nor touch their carcasses.
9. This you may eat of all that is in the water: whaterever has fins and scales you may eat. 10. but whatever does not have fins and scales you may not eat; it is unclean to you. 11. You may eat any clean bird.to you. 11. You may eat any clean bird. 12. But of these you may not eat: the nesher, the peres and the ozniyah; 13. the ra’ah, the ayah and the dayah,according to their species; 14.any orev according to its species; 15. the bas ha-yaanah, the tahmas, theshahaf and the netz, according to its species; 16. the kos, the yanshuf and the tinshomes 17. the ka’aas and the rahamah and the shalach; 18. the hasidah and the anafah, according to its species; the dukhiphas and the atalef. 19. Every winged creeping thing is unclean to you; they may not be eaten. 20. Any clean flying creature you may eat. 21. You shall not eat any carrion; you may give it to one who has come in from outside, who is within your gates, that he may eat it, or sell it to a foreigner, for you are a holy people to Hashem , your God; you shall not cook a young animal in the milk of its mother.